PATIENT INSTRUCTIONS FOLLOWING NASEL AND SINUS SURGERY
Following nasal and sinus surgery, keeping your nasal passages clean and moist is essential for rapid healing and preventing complications. Typically, the patient must use a saline nasal spray 4-6 times daily
as well as placing a humidifier or vaporizer (warm humidification is better than cold) at the bedside to keep the air moist during sleep.
Other care that is critical for healing include:
- DO NOT blow your nose! This can lead to significant bleeding.
- If you have to sneeze, open your mouth (this will take the pressure off of your nose and decrease the risk of bleeding).
- No heavy lifting (greater than 20 lbs) for 2 weeks.
- Steam your nose twice daily to help loosen crusts that may be present.
- Drink plenty of non-caffeinated beverages to keep mucous thin.
- Sleep with your head of bed slightly elevated.
- Call our office for any questions or problems.