TOTAL JOINT REPLACEMENT CLASSES
Hardin Memorial Hosptial provides preoperative education classes to patients and families prior to total knee and total hip replacement surgery. Information is given by registered nurses from Pre-Admission Planning, Home Care, Anesthesia, and from Physical Therapy representatives. Utilizing this multidisciplinary approach in providing information to patients assists patients in attaining maximum benefit from surgery.
Total knee replacement classes take place every Wednesday from 8:00 a.m. -11:00 a.m.
Total hip replacement classes take place every Thursday from 8:00 a.m. - 11:00 a.m.
Education packets are given to patients to serve as a resource for reinforcement of information provided during the class. Attendance is strongly encouraged unless a patient is too debilitated to attend or has recently underwent joint replacement (within the past two years). To schedule a class, or for further information, please call (270) 706-1079.
Things to bring to class:
- Power of Attorney
- Living Will/Advance Directive
- Insurance cards
- Paper work from your surgeon
General Format of Class: Introduction
- Class expectations
- Review of film
- Demonstration of assistive devices.
- Review of discharge needs
- Discussion of discharge plans
- Expected status at discharge
- Where/When to report
- Nothing to eat after MIDNIGHT NIGHT PRIOR to surgery
- No make-up, jewelry, nail polish
- Same Day Surgery area, preps, anesthesia visit
- Time frame
- Anesthesia role
Review of Patient Education Packet Interview with a Register Nurse
- Recovery room
- Pain Medications
- Abduction pillow (hip patients)
- Trapeze bar
- Physician visit with family
- Transfer to room: 2 NORTH (ORTHOPEDIC) (MAP PDF)
- Past Medical History
- Admission Assessment/Physical Assessment
- Care Coordination Assessment (to include discharge plans, medical equipment, available resources, insurance requirements)
- Anesthesia evaluation
- Consent for surgery
- Labs, EKG, CXR as needed
- Final Questions and Answers