What to Expect: Breast Reconstruction Consultation
During your consultation, be prepared to discuss:
- Your surgical goals, options, and course of treatment
- Any medical conditions, drug allergies, previous surgeries
- Current medications, vitamins, herbal supplements, tobacco, alcohol, and drug use
- Outcomes of breast reconstruction, risks, and expectations
- Breast reconstruction is a journey that is unique for each patient. This may include:
- Multiple surgeries over a period of 6-12 months
- Building the breast by using your own tissue versus tissue expansion and implant placement
- Nipple reconstruction
- Nipple areolar tattooing
- Breast reconstruction surgery after Breast Cancer is considered a reconstructive procedure, and should be covered by health insurance. However, your coverage may only provide a portion of the total cost.
- The Women’s Health and Cancer Rights Actis a federal law passed in 1998 that requires all group health insurance plans that cover mastectomies and reconstruction surgery as well.
Tips for Healing
- Following your physician’s instructions is the key to success of your surgery.
- It’s important that your incisions are not subjected to force, abrasion, or motion during the time of healing.
- Your doctor will give specific instructions on how to carefor yourself.